Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1979, this splendid and evocative city certainly does not need many presentations. Today the city of Venice is divided into the six districts of Dorsoduro, Santa Croce, San Polo, San Marco, Cannaregio and Castello, spread over 118 islands connected by 354 bridges and divided by 177 between canals and canals.
Piazza San Marco can be considered the “center of the center” of the city, by definition the only square in Venice (the others are actually “campi” or “campielli”), one of the most beautiful in the world, there is the homonymous basilica , the Doge’s Palace and the bell tower of San Marco. Another symbol of the city is the Rialto Bridge overlooked by the characteristic shops. Some other important Venetian monuments are the Arsenale, the church of Santa Maria della Salute, the basilica of Santa Maria gloriosa dei Frari, the synagogues of the Ghetto.
The main canals of the city are the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal. The first cuts the city in two by tracing an “S”, the second separates the historic center proper from the Giudecca island.
City of foundation, it has a precise date of birth: 7 October 1593. This date was chosen by the representatives of the Republic of Venice as it recalled two important events in the history of the republic, the first, of a religious nature, was the anniversary of Santa Giustina , which will become the patron saint of the new city, the second, of a civil nature, was the anniversary of the victory of Lepanto over the Turks on 7 October 1571. With the choice of this last event, the Serenissima wanted to launch an unequivocal message on the function of the new fortress as a barrier to the Ottoman invasions, not only of the republic but of the whole of Christianity. Palma remained for more than two hundred years under the dominion of the Serenissima (1593-1797), until General Bonaparte conquered it. After the treaty of Campoformido, the fortress entered the orbit of the Austrian empire (1798-1805), and was then inserted, following a conquest, into the Kingdom of Italy (1806-1814). After the fall of Napoleon, Palmanova returned to be part of the heterogeneous Habsburg empire until 1866, with the only parenthesis of the 1848 insurrection, when the fortress suffered a long siege by Austrian troops. With the plebiscite of 1866 Palmanova was sanctioned its definitive union with the Kingdom of Italy. During the First World War it was the site of hospitals, warehouses and a training ground for troops, with the route of Caporetto the city suffered serious devastation. Towards the end of the Second World War, an anti-partisan repression center was located in the fortress (Caserma Piave). In 1960 the President of the Republic decree Palmanova as a “National Monument”
CASTELLO DI MIRAMARE A TRIESTE
Eclectic-style building, built between 1856 and 1860 at the behest of Archduke Maximilian of Habsburg – later Emperor of Mexico – to a design by Carl Junker, it preserves the original furnishings and decorations of the time inside. Large park (22 hectares) lying on the seashore, created by the client on a promontory that was then devoid of vegetation with numerous botanical essences of tropical origin. Inside the castle you can visit the apartments of Massimiliano and his wife Charlotte of Belgium, the rooms for guests, the teaching room with the history of the construction of the Castle and the Park, the apartment inhabited by Duke Amedeo d’Aosta with furnishings dating back to 1930 in a rationalist style. Particularly noteworthy is the listening room to the music played by Carlotta on the fortepiano exhibited in room VII; the series of paintings by Cesare dellAcqua that tell the story of Miramare in room XIX and the throne room, recently restored and brought back to its ancient splendor. The park offers the public the opportunity for a botanical walk of considerable interest together with the important collection of sculptures that decorate the many paths. Also worthy of note are the Stables, a building recently restored and now used for temporary exhibitions; the Ancient Greenhouses; the Castelletto which preserves part of the original decoration still present on the first floor.
The city is located in the center of the Friuli region and is the hub of transalpine traffic in Friuli, located in a strategic position at the intersection of the east-west (Corridor 5) and north-south (Via Iulia Augusta) European routes, on the road leading towards Austria and towards Eastern Europe. It rises on the plain around a hill, a few kilometers from the hills, and is flanked by the Cormor stream to the west and the Torre stream to the east. With the 11 municipalities of the hinterland it forms an urban area of about 169,000 inhabitants in 312 km² (31-12-2006), with a density of 543 inhabitants / km².
– THE CASTLES OF FRIULI
– CIVIDALE DEL FRIULI AND THE NATISONE VALLEYS
– VILLA MANIN
– ASOLO VERONA
The Marina Agency will be able to advise you and show you the most interesting routes and places to visit, for a different day of vacation or to remedy a cloudy day …